Monday, August 27, 2007

Honey Do List

I want to thank everyone for the positive thoughts while I was on the IMKY course, and for all the awesome comments throughout the day. It really helped, and there must have been some prayers to help a tired runner, because shortly after I started walking at mile 14, Rebecca Roan (#1641) of Effingham, Illinois came up alongside me. She was on her first lap, and started walking at mile 3. We walked to mile 16 (four for her), and she said she was "walking one, running one," and I joined her. That "run one" was bit short, and we kept on going. At mile 19, our conversation had taken my mind off the condition of my body, and I decided to see what I could manage by way of a run. She really salvaged my marathon, so all of you who were throwing up prayers, know they were answered.

It's late after a long day getting home, and I have work in the morning. So, here's my "to do" list for the next few days.

First is an "Executive Summary" of the race. That will be the short version of how the day went with some of the "need to know" details. After that, expect a rather lengthy "thanks to" post. That will be something like the Academy Awards speeches where you wonder why rotten vegetables aren't more plentiful. After that will come the full blown race reports in all their glory. There is a lot to get straight in my head before I can get it all on paper.

In the video of the 2006 Ironman World Championships, Faris al Sultan comments that he doesn't really remember crossing the finish line in 2005 when he won the race. Hearing that in the week prior to Louisville, I didn't understand. Now, I do (and have the pictures to prove it's probably true). Sure, I remember the lights and general setting. But there's no song running through my head. I only vaguely recall them saying my name. I just remember the finish line, and really wanting to be on the other side of it. I remember the long tunnel of darkness with a bright light at the end. Fitting that the end of a race that leaves you filling dead looks like that.

So, give me a couple days of less detailed posts, and then I'll give you more details of the Iron Pol perspective of Ironman Louisville than you ever wanted to know.

12 comments:

Michelle said...

Take a well-deserved rest, IronPol. You earned it!

Anonymous said...

I think a ride around the lake this afternoon would do you wonders!!

Brent Buckner said...

Recover well - we'll wait for your words.

Vickie said...

Congratulations Tom! Sorry I did not get to meet up with you personally, due to a lot of technical difficulties for me, but I did see you on the bike in/run out, and had tracked you on line through the swim and T1. Didn't make it to the finish area however until after you finished. You had a great finish time!

tri-mama said...

Congrats Ironman! You did it, and I'm proud of you!

Veeg said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to hear all of your thoughts. :)

Molly said...

Take Care, you Ironman, you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! Way to go Ironman!

Bigun said...

Phenominal! I'm so stoked for you! Great job and I can't wait to hear all the gory details. Super proud of you!

Unknown said...

Face it, IronPol, we want every word you can give us on the subject!!

Congratulations. Can't wait to catch up with you in person.

S. Baboo said...

Congradulations on your great race! It was nice meeting you.

Dances with Corgis said...

Pol, I had the same thing happen to me. I don't even remember hearing what Mike Reilly said, although my friends told me later. Crazy how that works.