Friday, March 09, 2007

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Tomorrow should prove interesting. Somebody (that would be me) had the brilliant idea of scheduling a meeting at 8 a.m. It is the first meeting with the kids who will participate in our fledgling youth triathlon team. The concept is that we will weed out the uncommitted with the Saturday morning meeting.

Of course, there's the slight challenge of fitting a 5000 yard swim into the mix. And, of course, my best chance for putting in that kind of time swimming laps is from 5:45-7:45 a.m. So, the kids will get a firsthand look at the effects of more than 2.5 miles of swimming. And I will get a quick lesson in planning a meeting. Like 8 a.m. is a bad time when you have a major swim to accomplish.

There is, however, a bright side to this. Having a tight schedule will give me something concrete to break down the swim. I have two hours max to swim the distance. So I must complete 2500 yards per hour. That gives me a target of around 2:15/100 yards. If I maintain that average, I'll be fine. Anything less and I'll be late for the meeting.

9 comments:

Nancy Toby said...

That sense of urgency can often be helpful in a workout! DO IT FOR THE KIDS! Then you can brag on HOW FAR YOU SWAM!!

momo said...

doesn't it seem that the more you have to do, the more you get accomplished, though?

very cool that you're meeting is for the kids tri team! let us know how it goes!

Ellie Hamilton said...

Nothing like pressure to increase motivation...

Deb said...

Have fun... but don't be late!

Dances with Corgis said...

Did you budget in any time in the sauna after that KILLER SWIM?! Yikes. You have been pwnerizing the pool lately, pol. shesh, keep it up. The Ohio river has nothing on you!

Fe-lady said...

Nothing like kids and tight schedules to increase the motivation and pace, hmmm? Can't wait to hear about how it went (the swim and the meeting!)

S. Baboo said...

Hey Pol, I am doing IMKY. So is my wife Athena Diaries. We'd be glad to be added to a list of IMKY participants.

George Schweitzer said...

i need you to pass me some of that swimming motivation...mine is stuck in the drain at the pool and it seems to me you have enough to go around...good job!

Anonymous said...

that's a solid swim. i wasn't able to get in a set beyond 4000m when I was training for IMCDA. friends of mine are doing L-ville, should be a great race. Also, how did you get that IM countdown timer on your sidebar? keep rockin