Friday, March 30, 2007

While You Were Out

So, yeah. Every now and again, life interferes with blogging. Funny how that works. One second, you're a freewheeling blogger posting every day. You keep up with all the posts on every blog you follow. You even find time to wander around and seek out interesting new blogs.

Then, WHAM! You're knee deep in a mess and can't find time to read e-mail, let alone blogs. In my case, I haven't even made it into my office in a week. I'm working out of a training center, keeping two temps assigned to help clear a backlog of work. They've been super and all their work will make my boss look very good. The downside is that I've been working so much that any spare time has been dedicated to training and my kids.

And in the interim, time has somehow kept counting down the days, and I suddenly see myself looking at a 148 on the countdown timer. ZOOM! Right past 150. I planned on balloons and confetti when the timer hit 150. That's a major number in the countdown. But Noooooo! I missed 150 and went right to 148. Though important, 148 is nowhere near as cool as 150. So, I'll keep my eyes open for 99 days. That will be the next MAJOR milestone. Double digits. That will be big.

Training has been going well, though I took an extra rest day due to a cold and upper respiratory infection that opted to settle into my lungs. Anyone who has dealt with pneumonia, bronchitis, and/or sarcoidosis can relate. The extra day of rest will help me get more out of training, this weekend.

AND...

A sure sign of spring was visible at the Pol homestead, last night. Mrs. Pol wandered into the bathroom to investigate the odd noise she was hearing. She walked in on her beloved hubby being shorn of his locks. (For those who aren't aware, those would be the locks on my legs. I'm not sure I have enough hair left on my head to be "shorn.") She questioned the use of hair clippers for the task. I pointed out that using a razor to shave after six months of growth is a sure fire way to both clog the shower drain AND go through several razors for one shave.

So, the legs are shaved, and I'm ready to get The Pol-R Express back onto the road. The trainer has served its purpose, but the blacktop beckons. Spring is here, and none too early. With the timer under 150 days, it is time to start racking up the miles and getting ready for IM Louisville in earnest.

10 comments:

Papa Tweet said...

Always, always, always use the clippers first. That is a hard rule around here. Besides, those razors are expensive! So, does it take you 45 minutes too? No, just me? Ha?

Bigun said...

Good to hear you've brought the sexy-back! That countdown never stops, does it? It's relentless.

Anonymous said...

yeah for tri season!!!!

a.maria said...

there's a new kind of energy around these parts lately. spring has given all my tri-friends a new found focus.

good luck, work hard and have fun. 147 days and counting!

Di said...

spring brings about a whole new perspective doesn't it? The view changes from the wall/ window your trainer faces to the view looking down a long stretch of black top. I remember seeing that in a movie once. In Flroida, it's always a good day for blacktop. Wait, no. I'm wrong. I think we did have about 4 days where it was in the 40's and 50's. that was way too cold for Bigun to go out in.
I love spring!! I hope for an awesome year for you Pol!

Deb said...

What a way to 'ring' the season in! LOL. I think it would be weird if Mike's legs WEREN'T shaven...

Dances with Corgis said...

Thanks for keeping me abreast of the timer, Pol! :)

Kewl Nitrox said...

YOOHOO! Legs are shaved... That's SERIOUS stuff!

SHAMELESS appeal for help follows:
This is probably very bad timing seeing how busy you are, but if you do have 5 mins, may I trouble you to give my "17 days to O.D. Tri" training plan a once over? I am getting pretty desperate for advice...

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Yeah, I know how that thing called life can get in the way of blogging. Way to keep your prioriites in order. And way to get the training done! It'll be 99 days before you know it!

Unknown said...

yes... around this time each year, i have to help benny "shore" his back. it's not pretty. but, every year around this time, i thank god for triathlon.