Friday, April 14, 2006

Iron Pol is Born

Welcome to the new Iron Pol blog. The purpose of this blog will be to track a man also know as Running Pol through the evolution from marathoner to triathlete. This is a transformation that began in October of 2005 when several eigth graders at a youth organization pointed out that running one more marathon wasn't really all that challenging. So, they challenged me to a triathlon.

The very first training session in a pool highlighted that being a marathoner in no way prepares someone for a triathlon. After 100 yards swimming, the act of raising my arms above my head was a challenge. Even the shortest of triathlons (for anyone over the age of about 5) involves a 220 yard swim.

So, I armed myself for a true training program to meet this challenge. A new pair of goggles and some triathlon shorts allowed me to at least look the part. The most important tool was recommended by a fellow swimmer at the local YMCA. He suggested the book "Total Immersion Swimming." That was the best purchase I could have made, and at this point, I am about four months into the program.

The first attempt at any triathlon is on June 3, 2006. The money is spent, the registration complete. It is a sprint event with a 220-yard swim, 15 mile bike, and 5K run.

So, join me as I begin this journey. Where it will lead, nobody knows. With any amount of luck, we'll see the transformation of Running Pol into Iron Pol.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey congratulations on re-inventing yourself AGAIN! Most people don't have the courage to attempt such a feat once, so doing it twice is pretty amazing!