Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Running Fast

No, this isn't a post about setting a new PR or a really good speed training session. It's more about poor planning. Mine, to be exact.

Monday was a day off work as I had several doctor appointments. Two were of the "annual physical" nature. One was for bloodwork prior to one of the physicals. Just to answer the question, yes, I had two phsyicals on the same day. One was for the Veterans' Administration and one was with my personal physician.

The tests that were being done required a 12-hour fast prior to having blood drawn. Sunday night, I had my bagels and juice all set, ready to be eaten at 7 p.m. That would help minimize starvation in the morning. I had that snack finished by 7:30 and started my fast.

Around 8:15, Mrs. Pol pulled out her birthday cake. A Boston Cream Pie cake she baked herself. She misunderstood the plans for fasting, and thought I could eat until 8:30. As I stood there mixing my sports drink for Monday's run, I straightened her out.

My plan Monday morning called for a 10 mile run, and I headed out the door at 5:30 a.m. After about 1 1/2 miles, I reached back and pulled out my bottle. I then had one of those, "Doh!" moments. Fasting. Bloodwork at 7:45 a.m. And I'm about to start downing carbohydrate laden sports drink. And the Gu gel in my pouch was probably a bad idea, as well.

Needless to say, it was a long 10 miles. There was one drinking fountain in a park around the 6 mile point. The one saving grace was the temperatures (35F and windy). Sweating is kept to a minimum in cold, windy conditions.

So, my new advice is this. When fasting, just cut out any morning training sessions. Or at least remember to switch from sports drink to water.

No comments: