Thursday, August 03, 2006

Minor Victories

The road from non-swimming marathoner to triathlete to Ironman is filled with obstacles. And like most triathletes, I see them as hurdles to be overcome. Many of those who see them as road blocks are most likely sitting at home, watching t.v.

Today, I got over another one of those little hurdles. And it was a hurdle in my weakest area. The swim.

While I have completed several long distance swims (over 1 mile) at this point, they have all involved what could be called "rest swimming." Every several hundred yards, the need for air forces me to go to a side position to catch my breath. That, obviously, results in significant lost time. Breathing, however, is more important than time.

This morning, with a 2000 yard swim scheduled, I was determined to make headway in this area. The goal was to go no less than 500 yards before going to my side for those breaths. I am extremely happy as I was able to complete the total distance without a single break. The entire session was "four strokes and breathe."

This is a big boost in confidence. My greatest weakness has always been poor breathing technique. While there is a lot of room for improvement, including bilateral breathing, it is a huge stride to hit the half-Ironman swim distance without having to break out of form just to catch my breath. There's hope for the flounder, yet.

5 comments:

:) said...

Awesome achievement, my friend.

jeanne said...

awesome! I love your attitude. you're gonna kick swimming's butt!

Bolder said...

that's huge.

HUGE!

keep at it. you're doin' grrreat!!

greyhound said...

Been there and gasped that. It's a good feeling, isn't it.

Comm's said...

The swim can be so intimidating. Its not like you can stop and unclip or walk a bit. Remember these little miracles and progress.