Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Mondays can be rough. Between training, work, and Mrs. Pol's class, it's a busy day. Add in several inches of new snow to shovel in the morning, and the day gets really interesting.

Knowing snow was in the air, I woke up planning to either bike on the trainer or swim, depending on what the driveway looked like. What I didn't plan on was spending more than an hour shoveling and blowing snow. That essentially wiped out any morning workout. Well, other than shoveling and blowing snow for an hour.

As luck would have it, my swim for Monday was "optional." Given the conditions, I read that as "opportunity for cross training." Otherwise known as shovel snow for an hour. That left an hour on the trainer to fit in during the evening.

That takes us back to Mrs. Pol's class. In addition to helping her better understand her faith, this class is very much about "adult time" for my wife. That, of course, leaves dad home to care for the kids. Last night, it was a "picnic" in the living room with chicken stew and "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." I think I got an extra workout in from all the laughing while watching my kids "dance" to the songs.

Monster Girl started it during the title song. For her, dancing primarily involves spinning. And spinning. And spinning. Falling down, and spinning some more. B-Boy had to join in, adding to the complexity of the dance by repeating "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" as he spun. It was so hilarious I had to video it. This is footage that is sure to come back and haunt them as kids.

Caring for them pushed my spin training back until 10 p.m. I considered scrapping it, but got it done, in the end. The combination of guilt, a short schedule for today, and general principal helped provide motivation.

Well, that and the fact that I was all wound up from showing the video of the kids to Mrs. Pol. It almost brought me to tears the second time around.

1 comment:

Di said...

This is probably my favorite post on your blog! Too bad for the kids when they get boyfriends and girlfriends...you'll have a good time with it, again.poor kids. ;)