Sunday, November 12, 2006

Day Off

Somewhere during the training of the last few years, I've lost my mind. That, or my sense of proportion. Today's schedule (and a bit of personal choice) made getting my daily swim completed challenging. Given the "day off," I decided to get a quick run in before dinner.

Twelve miles and a 100 minutes later, I got back home.

Now, that is admittedly a quick run. At an average pace of 8m 9s per mile without seriously pushing myself, this run is a far cry from the 10 minute mile pace of my first half marathon. That it was a spur of the moment thing is even more telling.

Prior to 2000, it took the requirements of being a sailor to get me to run more than 100 yards. In 2000, it took being diagnosed with sarcoidosis and a doctor's request to get me to run 1.5 miles. Today, I ran 12 miles on my day off. And honestly viewed it as a day off. Don't bother telling me. I know. It's twisted and wrong.

I know there's a lawyer or two out there. How about psychologists. I might need help. Too many more changes like that and I'll start seeing Dean Karnazes' 50 marathons in 50 days a perfectly understandable.

3 comments:

Bigun said...

Uggg! No swim today - the 30/30 string is broken? Is it true? Did you think no one was watching? Kidding, really! I have no illusions that a 30/30 is anything but super challenging to all but the professional athlete without the thing called "a life" that gets in the way of training...I can only hope to come close...

Iron Pol said...

Mike's suggestion was for 30 swims in 30 days, and I pointed out that was unlikely for a couple reasons. First, with schedules and church, Sunday swims would be difficult at best. Second, I'm quite sure that there will be no access to a pool on Thanksgiving. So, it was really going to be 30 minus a couple.

At this point, it's 14 swims in 15 days.

Bigun said...

Really, I think it's awesome that you are 14 for 15 - I can only hope to have done so well two weeks in! I'm starting up the day after turkey day and will finish just before x-mas....unless I skip some days....